Article 1: GeneralThe website CoScience, accessible by the URL http://www.sjscience.org (hereinafter called “CoScience” or the "website") is published by Science Collective, of 47, avenue Léon Gambetta, 92120 Montrouge France. The site is hosted by AnotherService SAS (simplified joint stock company) with capital €10,000 ; registered under: RCS Marseille B 521745935 ; Head Office: 45, rue Joliot Curie, 13382 Marseille Cedex 13.
2. Access2.1. Access to CoScience is provided free of charge. Anyone with Internet access (and not otherwise restricted from doing so) is free to search CoScience’ database and download available data without the need to create an account or provide any personal information (users without an account will hereinafter be referred to as “visitors”).
2.2. We will do our best to keep the website available online at all times. However, we may withdraw or interrupt CoScience without prior notice, for example, during upgrades, maintenance work or technical failures. We will not be liable if for any reason the website is unavailable at any time or for any period. Moreover, we do not make any promise or warrant that the website or the services will be without any faults, bugs or interruptions.
3. Registration3.1. We grant accounts and permission to provide content only to registered users (hereinafter referred to as “you” or “user”).
3.3. We accept registration only by individuals that can certify their affiliation to an academic institution or research center. You can certify your affiliation by providing a valid electronic address pertaining to a recognized academic institution or research center during your registration process.
3.4. Multiple accounts are forbidden (one individual may have only one account).
3.5. As part of security procedures, during registration you will be asked to choose a password. Your password should be treated as confidential information and you must not disclose it to any third party. You must contact us immediately if you suspect any unauthorized use of your account or access to your password. We have the right to disable any account or password if we have reason to believe that such account information is compromised. You are solely responsible for any and all use of your account.
4. Providing Content4.1. Users—not visitors—have the right to provide content to CoScience. Content includes, without limitation, academic articles with their supplemental files, reviews, comments, discussions, personal journal with editorial notices, personal information and clicks on vote buttons and statistics buttons.
4.2. As CoScience has no editorial control (that is to say the ability to inspect and have prior knowledge) over the submissions, all contents displayed on its pages are the sole responsibility of their authors respectively. CoScience bears no responsibility whatsoever in this regard. You should exercise caution not to post or upload content that may result in criminal or civil liability under any applicable laws, especially French laws (no defense of crimes against humanity, no incitement to racial hatred, no child pornography, no insult, no slander, etc). We therefore strongly recommend that before posting or uploading content to CoScience you make sure that:
4.2.1. You are the content’s copyright owner or have the permission of the copyright owner to use (send, upload, download, post on open access online repositories) the content.
4.2.2. The content was produced in compliance with all applicable local, national or international laws and regulations.
4.2.3. The content does not contain unlawful information, infringe or violate any copyright, database right, trademark or other intellectual property right of any other person, organization or company.
4.2.4. The content does not include any advertising, spam or other form of unsolicited promotional material.
4.3.1. to remove entirely any of your content at any time.
4.3.2. to remove part of any of your content or to edit in any way a page hosting any of your content with proper signalling, that is to say in a way which makes clear that CoScience removals, modifications or additions do not originate from you.These rights can be used without special justification provided to you, especially in the case of infraction. In case you paid to upload your content, no refund will be given.
4.4. As the hosting provider of pages viewed, any person may notify CoScience of the illegality of any content posted by a user, stating the URL and the content in question. Notifications must be send at firstname.lastname@example.org. Upon receipt, according to the reality of the claim, CoScience will determine and enforce the appropriate response.
5. Intellectual property Issues5.1. By posting or uploading a content on the website, you certify that you have the right to do so, either by being the sole creator of the content or by having the consent of each creator to upload or post the content on behalf of them or by having the permission of the current legal owner of the content CoScience does not track individual permissions and you will be the only responsible if providing your content violates any copyright.
5.2. Any written content provided by you is automatically licensed under Creative Commons 4.0 Attribution License. You keep intellectual ownership of the content you provide and retain all the rights to choose any further use of it out of CoScience website (e.g. submitting your article to a commercial journal and ceding all your rights to it).
5.3. You also grant CoScience the rights described in 4.3 and a world-wide, perpetual and irrevocable license to freely display and disseminate such content through the website, including providing search results and email notifications to other users. Please note that "perpetual" implies that CoScience keeps the right to distribute the content should your account be terminated.
5.4. The Map of Science is licensed under Creative Commons 4.0 Attribution Non-Commercial Share-Alike. The authors that must be credited for the Map of Science are "Michaël Bon and the scientific community".
6. You can't6.1. do anything that would damage, disrupt or place an unreasonable burden on our website or service or anyone else's use of the website or a service including but not limited to denial of service attacks or similar.
6.2. upload anything or otherwise introduce any spyware, viruses, worms, Trojan horses, time bombs or bots or any other damaging items which could interfere with our, or anyone elses, network or computer systems.
6.3. use any software or device which may hinder the services, such as abusive downloading.
6.4. reverse engineer, disassemble, decompile or translated any software in the website, or otherwise attempt to derive the source code of such software, except to the extent expressly permitted under applicable law, without our prior written permission.
6.5. attempt to gain unauthorized access to anyone else's account.
7. Account TerminationYou or CoScience can decide to suspend or terminate your account at any time. CoScience hopes that none of these possibilities will ever happen and will try to solve problems without going that far.
7.1. CoScience may consider to suspend or terminate your account especially in case of :
- fake identity
- use of multiple accounts
- repeated infractions or misconducts
- no valid electronic address is associated with the account (e.g. the electronic address provided at registration has expired and no valid one has been provided in between)
7.2. If you or CoScience decide to terminate your account,
- your account will become disabled.
- a notice stating that your account is terminated will be displayed on your public "member's profile" page. This notice may also include any other information that CoScience finds relevant to add, especially if CoScience is the one who decided to terminate your account.
- the information displayed in your public profile will remain as such (knowing that you are free to edit it how you want before termination) unless we consider it inappropriate. In that case, we will use our right described in 4.3.
- all other content you have provided to the website will remain as such and will still be accessible and linked to your account.
- you may not create another account without our explicit consent.
8. Disclaimers8.1. The use of the website is at your sole risk. We do not give you any warranty or undertaking about the services or the website which are provided "as is". All implied conditions or warranties are excluded as much is permitted by law, including (without limitation) warranties of merchantability, fitness for purpose and non-infringement. Although we strive for it, we make no warranty that our services will meet your requirements, be safe, uninterrupted, timely, accurate, secure and error-free.
8.2. Any material downloaded or otherwise obtained through your use of our services is done at your own discretion and risk, and you will be solely responsible for any damage to your computer system or loss of data that results from the download of any such material. You agree that we have no responsibility or liability for the deletion of, or the failure to store or to transmit, any content or communication maintained by the service. We retain the right to create limits on use and storage at our sole discretion at any time with or without notice.
8.4. If anyone brings a claim against us related to your actions, content or information on the website, you will indemnify and hold us harmless from and against all damages, losses, and expenses of any kind (including reasonable legal fees and costs) related to such claim.
8.5. Limitation of liability: to the extent permitted by law, CoScience will not be liable to you (under the law of contract, torts or otherwise) for:
- any direct loss;
- for any indirect, special or consequential loss;
- for any business losses, loss of revenue, income, profits or anticipated savings, loss of contracts or business relationships, loss of reputation or goodwill, or loss or corruption of information or data,in relation to the contents of or use of or any other matter whatsoever in connection with, the website.